Pages

Friday, January 2, 2015

What I Made for the Christmas Kitchen Ornament Swap

Well, now that the holidays are behind us
and things have settled down a bit,
allow me to do a little backtracking
and show you what I made
hosted by Erica at Golden Egg Vintage.



I was partnered with 
Trisha at American Honey Home.
You can see what she made for me
in my previous post here.

The rules were that we were to make 
 two kitchen related ornaments,
one tag or card,
include a favorite recipe,
and anything extra
maybe something "sweet".

Last year I played around with making 
Christmas card Putz style glitter houses 
They were allot of fun
and they turned out so cute. 

For Trisha I decided to make something similar,
a Gingerbread House.


Made from card stock,
with a flame-less battery operated tea light inside.


I decorated the roof to resemble candy dots.



And added lots of snowy glitter 
and
a little bottle brush tree at a corner in the 
front of the house.


This ornament was small enough that it 
could hang on a tree if you should so choose.

I think it would be wonderful under 
small glass cloche.

My second ornament was a
Gingerbread Man
made from an air dry recipe of
applesauce and cinnamon.


I got this recipe from my son's second grade teacher
close to 20 years ago.  
I made some tree ornaments back then
(gingerbread men, rocking horses, reindeer, 
angels, and more).
We've hung them on the tree every year since then.
And every year they smell delicious every time I 
open the box and unwrap them.

Since I was going with the gingerbread theme,
I printed off a printable found online
and applied to a shipping tag
over some coordinating art paper.


Added a dictionary clipping of gingerbread,

and attached a 
vintage measuring spoon,
and a 
tiny bite-sized gingerbread man cookie cutter 
with a strip of
Christmas homespun fabric.

Read a previous post to see 
more about the tiny cookie cutter.


Then I antiqued the tag and
added glitter around the edges.

The recipe I sent to Trisha is one of my very favorites
and one that I've made since a young girl
found in my mom's Better Homes & Gardens
 recipe book.




"Frosty Date Balls"
found on page 41


I prefer pecans instead of walnuts.

I love how the cookie balls get all goey
when rolled in powdered sugar
straight out of the oven
while still piping hot.






I tucked a few 
Christmasy sweet treats of
chocolate, peppermint and English toffee.
(and hoped Trisha wasn't diabetic)


Merry Christmas Trisha, thanks for being
a great swap partner.

Thank you Erica for hosting a great Swap Party!

Warm Hugs,
BettyJean


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment so I know you've stopped by.
I'd love to return the visit. Hugs, BettyJean